I’m not kidding with the title… this is LITERALLY the best tiramisu EVER!! I’ve had so many people comment that it beats any they’ve had at Italian restaurants or even some big chain restaurants. I credit it to the extra Kahlua flavor… I would swear some tiramisus that I’ve had don’t even use any. And yes, technically this IS optional (ie. if you’re going to be serving this to kids, just leave it out), but it really does take the flavors of this dessert to another level. My advice is to not skimp and use a knock off coffee liqueur in this instance; go with the good stuff! It really does have a richer taste!
Best EVER Tiramisu
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese – room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 -7 oz packages Italian Lady fingers
- 2 cup cold espresso
- 1 cup Kahlua
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa for dusting
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. This is your sabayon.
- Remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon-colored.Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside. The mascarpone does not have to be at room temperature, but it will help it mix in easier if it is. Take it out of the refrigerator as you gather ingredients to make the recipe.
- Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
- Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a 9 by 12 inch baking dish (or container similarly sized). A 9 by 12 inch cake pan will fit two packs of lady fingers perfectly!
- Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers. Repeat process with another layer of lady fingers and cream.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight. Dust with cocoa before serving