I love sweet potatoes! They’re so good… and good for you! Well, maybe not when you prepare them like this… but hey, you can’t be good all the time, where’s the fun in that? 😉 These are sweet and crunchy and oh so worth the calories!
I like to use an old fashioned hand masher for these rather than an electric mixer… I like to leave a little bit of texture in my potatoes, and the egg whites make them light and fluffy. You could practically eat these as a dessert, but I serve them with my Pecan Peppercorn Crusted Pork Tenderloin… Mmmmm! ;P
Pecan Topped Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3-4 sweet potatoes
- 4 egg whites
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- 1/2 tsp. each salt & pepper
- 2 c. chopped pecans
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into small cubes. Boil until tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes. Add in egg whites, flour, orange zest, salt & pepper and coarsly mash using a potato masher.
- Place mashed potatoes in a non-stick casserole dish and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 min.
- Melt butter in microwave for a few seconds. Stir in brown sugar until combined.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and sprinkle chopped pecans evenly over top of potatoes. Drizzle with butter and brown sugar mixture.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes until bubbly. Cool slightly before serving.